The term accreditation refers to the process of confirmation of the standard or quality assurance of both professional or education certifications. Accreditation in a particular field attempts to factor in some reviews over a designated period and final approval from a stand-alone body that oversees that field. The primary example is the regular accredited process of universities and other schools to affirm that they still have all it takes to produce genuinely qualified professionals that are relevant and acceptable to influence the larger world.
Teach English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) certification program qualifies an individual to teach English abroad. It is merely the means of instructing non-native English speakers in English language and is one of the fastest growing educational fields all over the world. This area of expertise exhibits countless professional opportunities for people who seek employment abroad to attain fluency and invariably a TEFL certification.
Not all professionally acclaimed bodies are accredited to award TEFL certification, and this becomes a headache for those who seek the top-notch certification from a reputable organization after meeting all the requirements. Such seekers, first of all, must understand that there is not anything mystical about it, as long as some basic questions are well-understood by the seeker and he strictly adheres to the guidelines.
Accredited TEFL Certification in Spain
- The accreditation process of schools that offer TEFL certification makes it essential they maintain all the professional courses at the expected level of expertise. Apart from the sessions, other requirements such as the several hours of practicum, the intensity of training, verification of the curriculum and many more should be sacrosanct.
- The international job market requires the certification to be professionally recognized and then the TEFL institutions accreditation ensures the ethical standards and that they maintain professional excellence in the training of qualified individuals despite learning to speak the English language in Spain.
- The accreditation for certification is also one way to preserve the quality of the program itself continually. This fact is assured when anyone earns the TEFL certification that is independently scrutinized and appraised by professionals in the same field.
- Schools of important standards abroad always make it a mandatory requirement before they hire English language teachers, such new intake must be TEFL-certified. Therefore, as an international teacher, it is worth considering with all seriousness, the approved path of attaining professional qualification to become a certified English language teacher in Spain.
It is a good dream to want to teach the English language professionally in a foreign land. However, the candidate must be prepared to face the scrutiny of various tests that makes professional English language teachers. Such teachers deserve the trust of individuals who will be committed into their hands for the betterment of future lives.
Similarly, such teachers can build a reputable internally-recognized professional experience and open bigger doors of opportunities. If you, therefore, care for these lives, you will seek to pay the price for yourself and for them to give them nothing short of the best quality of teaching by being well-qualified yourself.
The ultimate benefit of the TESL certificate is for learning English language-taught degrees abroad or work domestically in any recognized field in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, US, Canada, and South Africa. More so, it is typical for job seekers abroad to stand out among many applicants for an international position. TESL certification can become a reliable asset that can qualify you for a higher remuneration and other benefits.
Are there basic standards that earn accreditation for TEFL Certifications?
One may be often tempted that there must be just one independent organization that officially accredits other professional bodies to award the TEFL certifications, but no there is not one. There indeed are many teaching centers and institutions with their professional provisions, but it is not just up to one body to qualify the whole world.
Not even the British Council, with all her claim as the world’s largest English language organization, can single-handedly accredit TEFL schools. The leading independent bodies that accredit together with the several language schools that exist worldwide have reached an agreement on what is required for a TEFL certification of a professional class. These conditions are as follows;
- Each TEFL accreditation school must have tutors with a minimum of Master’s degree about Linguistics, TESOL, that is Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages. Other areas include Education with an emphasis in the ESL or equivalent training.
- Apart from a Master’s degree, a diploma in TEFL, TESOL (at the British Course level) or DELTA. The tutors must also have a teaching experience of a minimum of 8 years with an advantage with international experience.
- A minimum of 100 hours of intensive coursework and training
- Live practice teaching (practicum) for at least 6 hours under careful observation by the institution and with real students to represent the prospective ones.
- External validation by another independent body usually a reputable examinations body or a university. Such organizations must similarly be an accredited one by a higher, usually national organization of that country, such as the Ministry or Department of Education.
In order words, if an acclaimed accredited institution defaults in any of the above-stated conditions, the issued certificate may not be valid and acceptable internationally. Prospective TEFL students must note that not all bodies who claim accreditation to issue TEFL certificates have the resources that meet up with these standards.
TEFL Certification Internationally-recognised Accrediting Bodies
Some of the bodies that are internationally recognized to issue an accreditation of institutions for certification of qualified TEFL candidates includes IATQuO, ACCET, UCLES (CELTA course in Cambridge University, UK) and Trinity College. Note also that an original TEFL certification does not necessarily have to be accredited in the UK through the British Council.
Regulated, Recognized or Accredited, is there a difference?
These terms are some of the subtle ways that TEFL certificate enrollers must take note of, to avoid falling into the wrong hands. What does it mean when a certificate issuance is regulated? How about recognition and how does that differ from accreditation?
Many professional bodies regulate the conduct of all courses, and that includes the TEFL certification. A typical example of that is the OfQual, England that governs the processes that consist of the agreed terms of qualification of the institutions that issue certifications.
The accreditation pertains to the institute to be approved as having all it takes to issue the TEFL certificate. The accreditation is not a once and for all process, there is often an interval period when the process is repeated. Summarily, a TEFL certificate can be said to be internationally recognized but still not accredited, because it did not qualify by the higher independent body to issue such certificate.
Furthermore, the accreditation process involves ensuring that institutions strive to attain the standard for the TEFL course as set by the higher body. Apart from the necessary criteria, the accrediting body also verifies procedures such as testing and plainness of the marking. On the other hand, the Moderating body goes as far as checking the trainees’ coursework to ensure strict adherence to the TEFL methodology for qualification.
Take note also here that the said school or university may be a member of the accrediting body that is not the same as their accreditation status. Most importantly, accreditation is carried out by the specific independent body in that field and is therefore not generalized. In other words, a particular institution can be accredited to issue certification for some other courses and not qualify for others. It can be tricky, but it means the student must also be smart.
Simply put, a TEFL course can give you the following simply enlisted accomplishments;
- A simplified English language Grammar and other aspects of learning
- There are enough English language skills to be able to teach others to read, write, listen, speak in the correct pronunciation that complies with the standard phonetics
- Sound ability to plan lessons as a professional teacher
- Class management and conduct
- Understand the students’ peculiarity in learning and special needs
- Create helpful materials from gathered experience over the years
For Spanish students who wish to pursue a TEFL certificate, there is well-expounded information here for you to avoid making common errors. In order to teach English in Spain, contact TEFL Madrid Academy for any other information that you may need concerning registration for a valid TEFL certificate that is recognized in the world by both institutions and employers.